Monday 4 February 2008

Computer mooching

Surfing is a good name, but mooching is a better description of what I do at a PC sometimes. I can just mooch at it. Not doing anything. Not getting anywhere. Not really thinking about anything useful. I was reading my Thoreau book the other night and I came across this:

"You can't kill time without damaging eternity."

I suppose I'm talking about the difference between doing things mindfully and doing them absently: mooching.

It also reminds me of that TV programme that was on when I was a kid: "Why don't you?" AKA: Why-don't-you-switch-off-the-TV-set-and-do-something-less-boring-instead? (Answer: because you'd all be out of a job if we did!)

I shall stop, and switch it off. Got books to read.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I believe that sort of being on the internet has an official name - WILFing - What Was I Looking For? I do it all the time! It drives my DH mad if he's working in the kitchen while I'm doing it so I have to restrict it to when he's not around LOL! I can quite understand why it's so irritating but he can't quite understand why it's so irresistable to me!

9 February 2008 at 08:33  
Blogger Gill said...

Hi Clare,

It's weird isn't it? Like a black hole in time. Computers do things to the vibrational rates of our brains IMO.

9 February 2008 at 09:51  
Blogger 'EF' said...

Oh I LOVED "Why don't you?", and really miss it. Those were the days!

I have the same thing with my dh Clare, he doesn't like it when I am lost in cyber world as I totally switch off from the family.

5 March 2008 at 10:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home